As you will know by now here at French Soaps, ‘we are happy to help’, and one of the most frequent requests we get is for help choosing soap for men.
Writing as a female, most of us would like separate soaps for different purposes, but we recognise that isn’t necessarily so for men. Most of our products can be used for hair and body but there is still a lot of decisions to make when choosing from our range.
What is the Best Soap for Men?
The quest for the best men's soap is an individual journey, hinging on personal preferences and specific needs. Whether seeking a refreshing wake-up call in the morning, or a soothing cleanse after a long day, the ideal soap varies based on its purpose, what it will be used for and the type of person who will be using the soap.
For those drawn to invigorating scents and a burst of energy, a citrus-infused bar might be the perfect choice. Conversely, men with sensitive skin may opt for a gentle, fragrance-free option to avoid irritation.
What is the Purpose?
We normally start by asking about the purpose, where or how is the product going to be used? Understanding the purpose will help to inform the type of soap to buy.
Next, let's move on to some more information about the different types of men's soaps.
For low maintenance men that like to wash and go, Savon de Marseille is the most versatile soap bar that can be used as toothpaste, shampoo, body washing and for laundry. The perfect soap to buy for the low maintenance man and those that travel a lot!
Our Top Pick
Shaving Soap Bars
Shaving soap bars are specifically formulated to support the skin and needs of men’s faces using a variety of oils, including pistachio, for different preferences and requirements. Most are vegan, one contains organic goat’s milk and natural exfoliator that is crammed with skin loving nutrients and shares the same PH as your face.
Our Top Pick
Solid Shampoo Bars
Solid shampoo bars are really economical with one bar lasting the equivalent of 3 bottles of 250ml liquid shampoo. With men's soaps formulated for dry, normal and oily hair types our natural shampoo bars are a refined and easy option for daily use.
Natural marseille liquid soaps and traditional bar soaps, are excellent quality and formulated with natural, pure and organic ingredients, it just depends where and how you intend to use your soap or a preference for liquid or bars.
Our Top Pick
We also stock a face cleansing soap bar for men, which is enjoyed by many of our male customers who like more products in their ‘soap wardrobe’. Nourishing and naturally cleansing, this is an easy option for everyone in your home!
Fragrance and Colour Preferences
We stock more than 600 different soap bars so there is plenty to choose from depending upon the fragrances you like, however we have put together an edit of those that our male customers favour ranging from almond and orange blossom to marine and mint.
Consider Ingredients and Sensitivities
Formulations vary from shea butter to olive oil, goat’s milk to argan oil and more, whatever the key ingredient our products are all free from parabens, sulphates and other common 'nasties' that dry your skin or bulk out products.
The filters on our site will guide you if you have a preference, but what’s the difference and what are the best base ingredients for male skin?
- Olive oil – The superstar of traditional French Soap Olive Oil helps heal wounds & bites as well as preventing water loss, protecting against environmental irritants, and is naturally very cleansing. The one stop ingredient for most men!
- Goat’s milk – A natural exfoliator goat’s milk is a wonderful ingredient in men’s soap. It draws moisture to the skin, softens and nourishes, reduces redness and sooths and treats everything from oily to eczema* skin types. Avoid if lactose intolerant or with vegetarian preferences.
- Almond oil – This is great for men, a natural hydrator that is non-pore clogging and has benefits for Oily, Normal, Dry and Sensitive for skin types. It is calming and can reduce irritation, a natural anti-inflammatory that also supports skin regeneration. Just avoid if you have a nut allergy.
- Laurel oil - Unique, this Syrian soap is made using the traditional Marseille methodology. Loved by men this soap uses Laurel Oil. Great for acne and oily skin and available in solid bar and liquid format.
- Argan oil – This is an oil for normal to dry skin types: it helps protect against environmental damage, offers moisture and nourishment to the skin, and soothes irritated ski. However, if you have sensitive or oily skin then avoid this one.
- Shea butter – a powerhouse hydrator this is generally best for dry, sensitive and irritated skin types. Essentially a ‘solid oil’, in our paraben and sulphate free formulations this will benefit most men (including those with oilier tendencies) resulting in comfortable and soothed skin.
If you only buy one men's soap today, buy Olive Savon de Marseille.
Our newest men’s soap to try is Opium & Patchouli Shaving Soap with Pistachio Oil. We’d love your feedback!
Our top selling men’s soap’s as we write are:
What will you choose? We'd love your feedback and requests!