We’ve been doing MOUNTAINS of washing in our house during lockdown and with Spring in the air and the weather so amazing it just seems like the right thing to do. Open the windows, let the fresh air in and get everything washed. The more washing I do the more I am conscious of what I’m putting into the washing machine, how expensive everything is and how many plastic bottles are piling up. So we are doing something about this with our Natural Soap Flakes for Laundry in a compostable bag.
Natural Soap Flakes are an economical, environmentally friendly and multi-use product for washing linen and clothes. They are made in Yorkshire exclusively for Frenchsoaps with Yorkshire grown Rapeseed Oil.
Why are these Natural Soap Flakes so good?
- A Free From product! Free from; colourings, fragrances, optical brighteners, parabens, phosphates, sulphates, mineral based products and animal fats
- Very economical - working out at between 4 - 6p per wash
- Completely natural product, biodegradable product (and effluent), made with plant based natural ingredients
- No Palm Oil, this product is made with Rapeseed Oil grown in Yorkshire
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly product
- Packaging made from recycled materials with a plant based natural film lining that ensures your soap flakes are kept dry, the bag is compostable, just remove the top zip lock and pop the bag into your compost bin
How to use Natural Soap Flakes
First of all make a laundry liquid: Mix 20g flakes with 0.5 litre of hot water, stir to dissolve. Allow to cool and decant into a tub with a lid. You can use this mix straight away. It will set to a jelly-like consistency overnight.
- For hand washing - dilute the ready made mix in a bowl of warm water. Use 3 tablespoons (or a scoop) to 5 litres of warm water
- For machine washing: use 3 - 5 tbs (or 1 - 2 scoops) depending on laundry of ready made mix into the drawer dispenser/washing ball.
This mix gives you: 10 hand washes or 7- 10 machine washes. A 500g bag of Yorkshire Soap Flakes gives you 162 - 250 washes in total.
- For hard water areas you can add between 50-100mls of white vinegar (distilled) in the fabric conditioner compartment every now and then (this depends on how much washing you do, but start with every 2 months). You can do this in conjunction with a wash or you can run the machine empty and add. Vinegar has a natural softening action, so you can add to your laundry wash every time if you like!
- For brightening your whites, add 1 tbsp of Bicarb of Soda to your wash (or a small scoop of soda crystals)
- For a scented wash, add a few drops of essential oils to your washing liquid mix, whatever scent you like - good ones to add for washing are lavender, citrus or tea-tree. (Do not do this if you are pregnant)
When to use Natural Soap Flakes
You can replace your existing Laundry Liquid for Natural Soap Flakes every time you wash - please see the top tips above (especially vinegar rinse through your washing machine). Or if you prefer you can use it just for hand washing delicates. Natural soap flakes are particularly useful if you have sensitive skin, but we recommend that you do a patch test before using for the first time. Also particularly useful where there are septic/waste management tanks as the effluent is biodegradable, great for washing specialist sports performance and waterproofed kit and cleaning leather upholstery and other leather goods. Also - stop press - We've had some great feedback recently from customers who have used the soap flakes for washing wool pelts.